Mrs. Griffin’s class had an enjoyable time recently doing science investigations about the story Henry’s Piano with Mr. O’hAnluain.
Reminder of our Christmas Concerts
Preparations are continuing and we are really looking forward to the concerts.
First Class and Second Class will perform a Christmas Nativity Concert for parents on Thursday, December 15th in our school hall at 2 p.m.
Junior Infants and Senior Infants will present their Christmas Nativity Concert for parents the following day, Friday, December 16th in our school hall at 1 p.m.
Tomorrow December 8th Feast of the Immaculate Conception
Pupils will attend the 11.30 mass in the church.
Parent/ Teacher meetings
These will take place after school on Tuesday, January 17th from 3.15 – 6.00pm.
Thursday, January 19th from 3.00 – 5.45pm.
Please note early closing time 2.45pm on Thursday 19th. Appointment times will be provided at a later date.
Fifth & Sixth class pupils attended The Wiz yesterday presented by the Transition Year students of St. Mary’s Secondary School. It was a wonderful show featuring many of our past pupils. It is highly recommended. There will be performances on Wednesday 7th, Thursday 8th and Friday 9th in Newport Community Centre @ 8pm.
Board of Management Report:
Fr. Ryan has announced that he is retiring as Chairperson but will stay on as spiritual director. We thank him most sincerely for all his tireless work for our school down through the years.
School sign is to be erected very soon; Computer hardware is to be upgraded;
Talk will be arranged for Senior classes before Christmas on social media and after Christmas for parents.
Le gach dea ghuí,
Marie Griffin (Principal)
Remembering Our Dead
- A prayer service was held as we pray for our relatives and friends who have died.
- We thank you all for your support for the Christmas Shoebox Appeal. This year we collected 104 boxes. Well done!
December 8th Feast of the Immaculate Conception
- Pupils will attend the 11.30 mass in the church.
- First Class and Second Class will perform a Christmas Nativity Concert for parents on Thursday, December 15th in our school hall at 2 p.m.
- Junior Infants and Senior Infants will present their Christmas Nativity Concert for parents the following day, Friday, December 16th in our school hall at 1 p.m.
Mass on December 22nd
- Pupils will attend mass at 10.00 in the church and sing Christmas carols. Recorder Medley of Christmas Songs will be performed by pupils from Third –Sixth class immediately after mass.
- School will close on Thursday December 22nd 2016 and re-open on January 9th 2017
February 2017 mid-term break
- Thursday & Friday 23rd & 24th February 2017
March 17th Public Holiday
- School will close on Friday 7th April and re-open on Monday 24th April 2017 unless changes are required as part of contingency arrangements to make up for time lost due to unforeseen school closures.
- No school as teachers will attend Continuing Professional Development in the Primary Language Curriculum.
May 1st May Bank Holiday
June 5th June Bank Holiday
- School will close on Tuesday, June 27th.
Le gach dea ghuí
Marie Griffin (Principal)
Scoil na Tríonóide Naofa Secondary School Doon hosted their annual 8 a-side hurling tournament on Thursday 20th October. Our boys played against Cappawhite, Doon and Caherline. They performed admirably in each match and they represented the school very well. The day was warm and sunny and the boys enjoyed the healthy fruit snacks which were kindly provided on the day by Scoil na Tríonóide Naofa. The boys also met some former students from Scoil Mhuire who are now attending the secondary school.
The panel was: Ruairí Walshe-Kelly, Evan Parker, Jack Ryan, Jeffrey O’Rourke, Joe Shanahan, Emmet Crowe, Conor Barry, Dannan O’Rourke, John O’Brien, Oisín Holmes, Jamie Long, Matthew Walshe and Cian Finch.
On October 25th representatives of each class made a presentation of €600 to Jacinta Hannon. The proceeds were raised by the school last June when the school held a Fun Day to support the Hannon family. The Hannon family received a Labradoodle from the charity My Canine Companion. Jacinta brought Emmy (a year and half old Labradoodle) with her to receive the cheque.
Cumann na mBunscol Girls 7 a-side Football
Girls from 5th and 6th class played in the Cumann na mBunscol Girls 7 a-side Football Games in Caherconlish on Wednesday October 12th. They had four great matches against teams from Caherconlish Cappamore Oola and Garrydoolis. The girls won two of their matches against Cappamore and Caherconlish and were narrowly defeated by Oola and Garrydoolis. They played with great heart and commitment and were a credit to our school.
Panel: Sarah-Jane Flynn, Danah Roche, Leah Gow, Kate Swords, Ria Walsh, Rebecca Johnson, Sasha Rainsford, Siobhán Boevi, Sophie Rainsford O’Keeffe, Alannah Cummins, Siobhán Cooke, Grace Ross and Molly O’Sullivan.
Cumann na mBunscoil Boys 9 a-side Football
Boys from 5th and 6th Class took part in the East Limerick Cumann na mBunscoil 9 a-side Boys Football Blitz on Wednesday 5th of October at Doon G.A.A. grounds. The boys played against Nicker, Caherconlish, Caherelly and Oola. The boys lost to Nicker in the first game, then they beat Caherconlish, they lost out narrowly to Caherelly in a very close game and in their last match they lost out to Oola. The boys played great football and showed great teamwork and commitment throughout. Their discipline was exemplary and they represented the school extremely well. We thank them for all their efforts.
Panel: Jeffrey O’Rourke (captain), Evan Parker, Jack Ryan, Ola Olatilewa, Adam Melikchi, Ruairí Walshe Kelly, Joe Shanahan, John O’Brien, Conor Barry, David Kemp, Emmett Crowe, Luke Moroney and Eoin Callanan.